Tunes at Noon showcases local talent in UC

main_toons

Students watch as CMU Graduate Ryan Anderson performs covers and original songs for Tunes at Noon Feb. 5 in the Student Lounge of the Bovee University Center. 

Singing every word, Ryan Anderson serenaded Central Michigan University's Bovee University Center with the recent radio sensation “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran.

Anderson's performance was part of 1892 Productions' Tunes at Noon event, which is hosted twice a month on Wednesdays in the UC Student Lounge.

The show is designed to promote CMU and the local community, with local talents to letting students unwind while listening to music. In order to book performers, 1892 Productions puts up flyers and holds auditions.

Elsie sophomore and 1892 employee Stephanie White said attendance has fluctuated, but with new marketing and social media tactics, turnout for has increased.

“Word of mouth is the best way to promote things, so individuals who come and tell their friends help,” White said. “The interest in artists makes a difference too. We’ll put out video on social media saying ‘Hey come check this artist out.’”

Anderson, a 2013 graduate, returned to CMU to perform, Feb. 25. He sang a set of eight songs, with a couple originals. 

After singing in a choir since elementary school, joining a band and continuing choir while attending college, Anderson knew continuing in the music business was the right thing to do.

When he isn't perfecting on his own music, Anderson works as an audio engineer in Ann Arbor. 

“I want to get enough (songs) to eventually put out a full album. At the end I’ll compile it all and put out a CD,” he said.

Anderson's setlist ranged from Beyonce to Coldplay. He said he draws his musical inspiration for all types of music.

“I listen to a ton of different music, all kinds of different genres from alternative rock, to pop to more complex funk and jazz influence my music," he said. "It’s really just a compilation of everything."

Anderson said the best part of performing at Tunes at Noon was the interaction he has in the UC's intimate setting.

“Seeing their reactions is so cool because when you’re listening to music or watching it a lot of times that’s your main focus,” Anderson said. “So anything that’s bothering you or anything crazy you’re thinking about, it’s like gone for that moment. It’s just that moment of bliss and you lose yourself.”