No Movement in CHP Dean Search

There has been no movement in the search for a dean for the College of Health Professions, according to Marketing and Communications Coordinator Renee Castellon.

Vice President and Provost Michael Gealt said the search will begin in the fall. 

Gealt said the university felt there was insufficient time to develop the search process, appoint a committee, evaluate applicants and have finalists visit campus this spring. He said the search won’t be conducted until the next academic year because of the timing of former Dean Christopher Ingersoll’s  departure.

The college has been without a dean for most of 2015.

Ingersoll left Central Michigan University on Jan. 5 to become dean of the College of Health Sciences and Human Services at the University of Toledo—Ingersoll’s alma mater.

“In consultation with the interim dean, Tom Masterson, we decided to wait until next academic year so our timing would be consistent with the timeline that most applicants might expect,” Gealt said. “We also want to be sure candidates make their campus visits during the academic year.”

Masterson said no traits have been finalized, but the next dean should be a strong leader and a visionary.

“It’s someone who knows healthcare, obviously, somebody who knows our programs and the future of our programs, somebody who is innovative and embraces online learning,” Masterson said.

Gealt said he has discussed the desired characteristics of a new dean with the College of Health Professions’ department chairs, but have not finalized a job description.

Masterson, who previously served as the College of Health Professions’ interim dean before Ingersoll was appointed, said there is no drop off from dean to dean.

“This is what we’ve done and what Dean Ingersoll and I were working on for the last five years,” Masterson said. "What we started, we are going to continue with."

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →