COLUMN: Leave your stamp on CMU

opinion

Have you ever heard the story about how Gentle Thursday and Gentle Friday came to be at Central Michigan University, and that these days were sparked by anti-war protests during the Vietnam Era?

Did you know about President Warriner’s involvement in the 19th Century Peace Movement? 

Did you know that the American Indian Industrial Boarding School in Mount Pleasant was where more than 200 Native American children died after they were stolen from their homes and forcibly assimilated into white society between 1893 and 1934?

CMU may not have the same rich history of schools like Berkeley and other prominent universities, but our school has had its own impact on United States history.

The Clarke Historical Library offers an opportunity for the CMU community to engage in understanding our own history and to learn from it. The Historical Library allows the memory of past events at CMU to live on and to continue to bring the university into the future. 

I have done some digging while living up in Mount Pleasant and I found some remarkable stories of CMU students. I did this after a professor uncovered decades of history related to peace and human rights.

I encourage all those with any kind of interest to check out the Historical Library. Many of the nameless students can serve as inspirations when facing daunting challenges today. Many of the struggles these students of the past fought for continue today.

I encourage students to submit photos or news clips and other documentation to the Clarke Historical Library. While our time here at CMU is only temporary, our legacy can live on. In October, Central Michigan Life published an editorial about how campus advocacy is alive on campus. Let’s preserve this history to let future students know that when an injustice existed, we resisted.

Whether you’re a part of feminist groups, environmental organizations, political clubs or even the Circus Arts Club, the Clarke Historical Library has space for your memories.

Walt Whitman wrote, “The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.”

Contribute your verse by sending a member of your RSO to the Clarke Historical Library with your documents to submit a donation form. The memories will be processed and documented for future generations.

CMU’s new campaign logo is, “Put Your Stamp on the World.” Before you graduate, make sure to leave your own stamp at CMU.