Students learn about non-profit opportunities at Wednesday's panel

dsc_peacecorps

Isabella County United Way President Tom Olver discusses how students can get involved with the United Way organization during the Work That Matters- Post Graduate Panel on April 1, 2015 in the Park Library Auditorium. 

On Wednesday evening, alumni returned to discuss the benefits of joining the Peace Corp or affiliating organizations.

Some of the other organizations were United Way and Special Olympics. Guests were encouraged to join and help those in need in the community and worldwide. Many of the speakers emphasized how rewarding and fulfilling their jobs are.

"I get to go to bed every night (knowing) one out of 4 or 5 people right here in my community is a little better off," said United Way President/CEO Tom Colver. "(There are) 19,334 people right here in Isabella County who are directly benefited from United Way funded program or service."

In order to help families in need, United Way has to generate revenue. One they generate revenue is by partnering with 36 local non-profit organizations. Another way is by holding community campaigns. 

"We just celebrated raising $550,000 through the community campaign last year. Our goal was $495,000," Olver said. "We are 13 percent higher than last year."

Another organization represented in the panel was Special Olympics, which offers several programs to help better the lives of people with disabilities. They offer youth counseling, sports activities and anti-bullying seminars. 

Students in the audience were encouraged to join foreign services. Foreign Service Diplomat in Residence Michelle Jones highlighted that continuous changes and growth one can happen in the program if students join. Jones told students what it's like to be involved.

"Foreign service officers and specialists move every two or three years to a new assignment," said Jones.

Their job is to represent the U.S. overseas. For students who are interested in national non-profit work it would be the perfect opportunity, Jones said.

"I [came here] to talk to Michelle about the state department," said Three Rivers graduate student Hytham Dali. "I was interested in listening to all the volunteer work available, domestically and abroad."

Other students traveled to the program to learn more about their own future goals.

"I go to Wayne State and I'm going into business. I know I want to own my own non profit organization," said Detroit native Danielle Davis. "It's something I never really thought about going into. It was good to hear in detail what I'm really able to get involved with."