Soccer uses spring season as prep for fall

main_soccer

Coach Peter McGahey has been coaching the women's soccer team for three years.

The Chippewas have two session practices, 20-hour weeks and eight-hour weeks.

The team has just wrapped up the 20-hour segment as of last week and head into the eight-hour segments to end the semester.

“We are creating learning experiences and a learning environment for the team that is going to challenge them,” said Head Coach Peter McGahey. “It allows us to see different pictures than we may have seen in the fall particularly in the MAC season.”

CMU faced a familiar opponent in the University of Michigan and some other not-so-recognizable opponents like Michigan State University and Motor City FC.

“It’s made up of college graduates who were top end players when they were there,” McGahey said. “For example Stephanie Martin and Claire Horton who were two extremely talented players and alumni from here at CMU.”

Motor City FC played differently than most teams, “Not quite as fast, not quite as hectic of pace but decision making is sharper,” McGahey said.

The Chippewas lost three seniors but have worked younger players into the squad and into unfamiliar positions in their preparations for the fall season.

As of signing day the maroon and gold have added 12 new players to the team in their quest for the Mid-American Conference tournament after a heartbreaking season missing out by a single win.

Ontario natives Mia Arcand and Samantha Hewik join the squad to add depth in the midfield.

Five women added from southeast Michigan playing for the Hawks and the Michigan Jaguars. Forward Paige Duda, attacking midfield Shannon Magnan, forward Adriana Ramon, Madison Pogarch and Marisa Pyden.

Two Illinoisans added, in midfield Alexis Pelafas and defender Rosie Pettenuzo.

Ohioan forward Madison Costner and Connecticut native Zoie Reed added to the goalkeeper column.

“We’re trying to stylistically evolve the team to increase chances in a different way,” said McGahey. “We hope that some players who are on the roster will grow when the stage opens up and we are hoping that some of the young Chips are willing to augment what we had.”