EDITORIAL: Students should not carry stigma of Welcome Weekend visitors

2015_829_welcomeweekend_kc017_copy
Kaiti Chritz | Photo Editor

As city officials condemn the quality of life in student-populated areas north of campus and local law enforcement tightens its grip on student behavior on Welcome Weekend, it can seem like Central Michigan University is a hostile place.

The perception of crime in Mount Pleasant has become disjointed with reality, and multiple groups are laying the blame squarely on shoulders of students who are trying to enjoy their college experience.

Central Michigan University is a place where a blend of comfortable class sizes and small town life combines to create a generally friendly student body. Police officers have often said students who party responsibly have nothing to fear from police; the real danger comes from people who arrive at Welcome Weekend to be reckless and make a mess in our town.

CMU students have to clean up that mess, and carry the stereotype of intoxicated lawlessness which has left a visible scar on this community.

CMU Police Chief Bill Yeagley and the Mount Pleasant Police Department share the concern of visitors coming to CMU to harm others.

"A lot of people I was dealing with were not students," said Office Jeff Browne of MPPD after this year's Welcome Weekend. "They were either visiting or just came here because this is the place to be."

Officers have routinely said Welcome Weekend becomes more out of control when the academic year begins before other universities.

Central Michigan Life has long documented the dangers of binge drinking, but the majority of students should not feel ashamed for partying this weekend.

If you drink responsibly and treat others with respect, the police are not coming for you. You are OK.

Yeagley said visiting students add to the number of citations and general chaos, compelling police to increase their presence. This is especially true in the student-populated housing north of campus, where residents' complaints during the summer prompted officials to hire an additional code enforcement officer.

The biggest statistical issue police deal with during party weekends is alcohol poisoning, particularly of those who are underage or may not know their limits.

That is why it is important for students to take care of one another. We are back together as a community after a long summer. Don't stand by while bad things happen this year. Drinking-related injuries and violence, sexual assault and suicide are issues that some students may deal with this year.

To visitors looking to party with reckless abandon: we don't want you here. We are held accountable for your disrespect of Mount Pleasant.

CMU students must watch out for each other, no matter what. Don't let outsiders dictate how we are all perceived.