Dogs and their owners participate in 5k

Dogs are usually not participants in road races, but they were for Central Michigan University’s Pre-Vet fundraiser.

The Pre-Vet club hosted its third annual Doggy Dash on Saturday morning. The 5-kilometer race started on the corner of Ojibway Court Road and Washington Street.

The event was $20 to take part in. Participants could run with their own dog, or rent a therapy dog for $5 more.

“(The therapy dogs) are all trained and can coordinate with people,” said Clinton Township junior Cassandra Damer, who is the vice president of the Pre-Vet Club.

Before the race started at 11 a.m. on Oct 10, participants had time to introduce their dogs to each other, and take pictures of their pooches. The race began in stages with runners without dogs taking off first, followed by runners with dogs, with walkers with and without dogs taking off last.

The club has used the dogs in the previous Doggy Dashes, as well as Relay for Life, Damer said.

Lainsburg freshman Grant Taylor was among those taking advantage of the therapy dog rentals. Taylor was a first time participant, and said plans on joining the Pre-Vet club.

Because students can’t have dogs in the dorms, this provides an opportunity to spend some time with one, she said.

Hillshire Senior Kelsey McKibbin also planned on renting a therapy dog to accompany her for the race.

“All registered student organizations have fundraisers, and it’s important to support ones you care about,” McKibbin said, “This is something fun we can do and also help out the Pre-Vet club.”

Beldins Senior Brookelle Antonides brought her own dog to the event. Antonides said her dog likes long walks, although she had not gone this far before, but said “She’s still young, so she has lots of energy.”