Offense sputters again for field hockey

New York senior Elaine Materise attempts to get the ball from Ohio player during the Chippewa's field hockey game at the field hockey complex on Oct. 2, 2015. The Chippewa's fell short to the Bobcats, 3-1.

On a windy afternoon, the Central Michigan field hockey lost its second Mid-American Conference game in as many tries, falling 3-1 to the Ohio Bobcats Friday.

Ohio started off strong, scoring within the first minute of the game. Seven minutes later, Elena Curley made it 2-0 for Ohio. Just before the half, the Bobcats tacked on their third goal.

"We shouldn’t have been discouraged by the early goal," said Head Coach Molly Pelowski. "We just need to work on our passing game and pay attention to the details."

After the break, both teams had trouble scoring offensively. With two minutes left of the second half, CMU senior Kaysie Gregory scored for the Chippewas assisted by Kianne Hinkle making the end score 3-1. This makes the seventh goal for Gregory of the season.

Ohio outshot Central Michigan 20-3 by the end of the contest.

“I saw good things," Pelowski said. "It just comes down to the execution of our game plan and we just need to keep executing throughout."

CMU (0-10, 0-2 MAC) has its third MAC game of the season Sunday against Kent State, starting at noon. The Chippewas beat Kent State last season to capture the MAC Championship after starting the season 1-8.