Rapid Reaction: Western Michigan 41, Central Michigan 39

KALAMAZOO—Central Michigan football played its first October matchup against Western Michigan since the 2009 season in the 86th matchup between the Chippewas and Broncos at Waldo Stadium.

In a 41-39 decision, WMU keeps the Victory Cannon  It was the most combined points scored in the history of the rivalry.

The victory brings the all-time series record to 47-37-2, with the Broncos still maintaining the long term edge. The Chippewas are now 2-4 (1-1 MAC) in 2015.

CMU remains winless on the road this season.

How it happened: Facing far better weather conditions than a week ago, senior quarterback Cooper Rush didn't have to be wary of rain or wind. WMU’s defense still managed to cause disarray early in the game for the Chippewas.

After the initial couple of drives, Rush began to lock in on his targets consistently.

Completing 22 of his 32 passing attempts, Rush threw for 321 yards with four touchdowns and one interception in the defeat.

Backed by their spread option offense, the Broncos kept the Chippewas off balance and marched down the field on most of their offensive possessions.

CMU’s defense surrendered 219 rushing yards on the afternoon, failing to halt the two-pronged rushing attack of sophomore Jarvion Franklin and freshman Jamauri Bogan, who combined for 176 yards on the ground.

Lacking discipline: Mental errors and undisciplined play hindered CMU’s effort for a majority of the game.

Plenty of laundry was on the field throughout the game, especially in the opening quarter, as both teams combined for 121 total penalty yards.

Both the Chippewas and the Broncos received their fair share of unsportsmanlike conduct and unnecessary roughness penalties.

Perhaps the most notable penalty of the game came with just under four minutes into the game when junior linebacker Nathan Ricketts was ejected on a targeting penalty after hitting WMU wide receiver Corey Davis seconds after WMU’s first play from scrimmage ended.

What it means: A loss against an arch-rival on their home turf is a forgettable feeling and Saturday’s result is no exception for CMU.

After dropping last year’s game at home and watching WMU celebrate on the field afterward, revenge was on the minds of Head Coach John Bonamego and company.

Unfortunately for CMU, revenge wasn't in the cards. They will have to wait until the game returns to Mount Pleasant next year.

Cannon staying in the 'zoo: Saturday's contest between CMU and WMU was the eighth installment featuring the Victory Cannon.

A loss to the Broncos in consecutive seasons gives each team four wins apiece in the Victory Cannon era.

WMU’s win is the first time in the rivalry that the home team has won since the Broncos won in Kalamazoo in 2011.

What’s next: CMU will return back to Mount Pleasant for next Saturday’s matchup against Buffalo. 

Hailing from the MAC East division, the Bulls have a 2-3 record (MAC 0-1). 

Last season’s matchup on the road against Buffalo had the Chippewas prevailing late in a 20-14 outcome. 

It will be the eighth game between the two teams since Buffalo joined the Mid-American Conference in 1998.

The Bulls’ lone win against CMU came back in 2004 during Brian Kelly’s tenure as The Chippewa’s head coach.

The game is scheduled for a 1 p.m. kickoff at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.