Early deficit dooms CMU, football winless against Rockets since ‘09

fb_vs_toledo_2015100_copy
Kaiti Chritz | Photo Editor Sophomore defensive back Amari Coleman goes to make a tackle against a Toledo Rocket on Nov. 11 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium. The Chippewas lost to Toledo 28-23.

The best of the Mid-American Conference’s West division was put on show in prime time Tuesday night at Kelly/Shorts Stadium as Central Michigan football fell 28-23 to Toledo.

Entering the contest, both teams had 4-1 conference records. Losing to the Rockets brings CMU to 5-5 (4-2 MAC), eliminating them from a chance at competing for a MAC West title.

CMU had its backs up against the wall from the first quarter. Toledo, which dropped out of the College Football Playoff Top 25 minutes before the game, darted out to a 21-0 first-half lead in front of a national television audience.

“The bottom line is Toledo made more plays than we did and we hurt ourselves with a few mistakes,” said CMU Head Coach John Bonamego. “But I'm proud of the effort and I'm proud of the fight in our team.”

CMU’s secondary was under a relentless and seemingly endless passing attack from Toledo senior quarterback Phillip Ely throughout the first half, torching the Chippewas with a pair of touchdowns, a 62.5 completion percentage and 201 yards passing.

Bonamego made it clear his team still has plenty of things to play for with games against Kent State and Eastern Michigan remaining on the ledger, even though a chance at a MAC Championship will have to wait another year.

“I think brighter days are ahead for CMU football,” he said. “We’re no longer relevant in terms of a MAC Championship, but I still think we’re a very good football team.”

Bonamego said his team still has bowl eligibility and a winning season to play for.

“I think right now you're trying to get six wins, then when you get to six, you're going to try to get to seven and finish with a winning season.”

Toledo’s fast-paced, no huddle offense kept the Chippewas off balance early in the matchup, paving the way for three quick touchdowns in four drives. Adjustments by Defensive Coordinator Greg Colby nearly helped CMU pull off the second-half comeback attempt.

“It is frustrating,” said senior safety Kavon Frazier, who had 12 tackles. “Everything we do, we try to put an emphasis on finishing and that’s something we couldn't do today and in all the other close games. When we get down that much in the first half, it's hard to get back in. We dug a hole for ourselves.”

The Chippewas surrendered 322 yards in total through the air in the loss to the Rockets.

Despite rallying and putting together positive offensive possessions while keeping Toledo at bay in the second half, a win was simply not in the cards for CMU on Tuesday evening.

Take away a handful of missed opportunities and fans would be reading a much different storyline. Bonamego said his team did not take UT for granted, even though the Rockets fell to Northern Illinois last week, and relinquished their undefeated record in the process.

“That's a very good offensive football team if you look at the amount of points they've put up against people,” Bonamego said. “I think it shows the character of our team, to be down 21 points like that and then still fight, scratch and claw back into the football game.”

Junior quarterback Cooper Rush turned in another quality outing in the losing effort, completing 33 of his 52 passing attempts for 349 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

The pair of touchdowns gives Rush 64 for his career, moving him past Ryan Radcliffe into second place all-time behind Dan LeFevour who threw for 102 touchdowns from 2006 to 2009.

Rush, who has had little to no support from the rushing game this season, has been forced into improvising with his feet more than a few times in 2015. Rushing for 23 net yards on seven rushes, the Charlotte-native was in agreement with his coach when asked what the team has left to play for.

“Those seniors, a bowl game, we have a chance to win eight games, so I mean there is tons (of things) to play for,” Rush said.

The Chippewas have now lost five consecutive games to Toledo. CMU’s last victory against the Rockets was a 56-28 decision in November 2009 in former Head Coach Butch Jones’ final season at the helm.

This was also the last time CMU won a MAC Championship.