Joseph Boyden shares his story for Native American Heritage month

Award-winning Canadian Novelist, Joseph Boyden speaks as Keynote Speaker for Native American Heritage Month, Thursday, Nov. 19, 2015 in Anspach Hall. 

Closing out Native American Heritage Month, Canadian author Joseph Boyden spoke Thursday night on how his cultural background has impacted his career as a writer.

Boyden has written three novels “Three Day Road,” “Through Black Spruce” and “The Orenda,” which feature both Native American and Canadian history and culture. Boyden is a member of the Ojibway tribe and is also Irish and Scottish.

Boyden is one of 11 siblings. His dad was the most decorated combat vet during World War II in the British Empire but passed away when Boyden was eight.

“Growing up, we didn’t really speak of our native heritage because we didn’t live on the reservation,” Boyden said. “As a teen I explored the richness of the Ojibway culture. For me that’s a deep well to draw inspiration from.”

Thursday was Boyden’s first time to Mount Pleasant and the Isabella Indian Reservation. He was brought here by sponsors: Office of Native American Programs, Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribal College, Office of Institutional Diversity, Ziibwing Cultural Center and Native American Indigenous Student Organizations. 

“I thought Boyden connected really well with the audience,” said member of Native American Indigenous Student Organizations, Henry Howell. “I think he did a great job capturing what a lot of young Native people deal with on reservations.”

Boyden spoke about how his history of his family and culture play a large role in understanding himself today. He also talked about how everyone faces challenges and doubts, he does in his writing, but how everyone can overcome those challenges.

During his talk, he read his short story “Turtle Island,” which dealt with a Native American teen living on a reservation, who faced discrimination and was trying to find his path in life.

“He talked about the issues Native Americans deal with through his stories rather then just kind of listing them off,” said Hunter Sagaskie, vice president of the American Indian Science and Engineering Society.

Boyden finished off his speech by explaining how writers draw from real life and experiences they have. Boyden writes about social issues he sees and experiences he has had, as well as his heritage and culture.

“I felt a connection when he talked about writers because I am an aspiring writer,” Tiffany Mitchell said. “I was required to come for a class but I would have come anyways because it sounded interesting.”

Other Native American Heritage Month events include  the Circle of Indigenous Arts Market & Competition, which will be held from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Nov. 20 and 21 at the  Ziibiwing Center, 6650 E. Broadway. The market and competition will include children’s activites, fine art and Native music and dance demonstrations.