Women's basketball dominates opening weekend

2015_1113_womenbball_mb_27
Monica Bradburn | Assistant Photo Editor

In its first two games of the season, the Central Michigan women's basketball team has put up 195 points, including a 110-87 win over Oakland on Sunday to claim their first road win of the season.

CMU downed Indiana State in its home opener on Friday, 85-65. The Chippewas' 2-0 start is something they have not been able to achieve the last two seasons.

The Chippewas scored 45 points in the first quarter against the Golden Grizzlies, and led 64-44 at halftime.

“I thought that we executed pretty well for the most part offensively," said Head Coach Sue Guevara. "We had a lot of people contributing today on the offensive end of the floor and defensive end of the floor. It was a nice team win.”

In both games, CMU has used all eligible players, adding to experience that will be crucial for the rest of the season. Guevara credits her coaching staff for getting the right substitutions on the court.

“We have depth, it’s just getting that depth some experience," she said. "The only way to get them experience is to play them.”

The Chippewas scored 140 points through the first two games of last season. On Sunday, CMU scored 110 points on 108 possessions. The team has a field goal percentage of .490 and a 3-point shooting percentage of .440.

Guevara said her team's offensive success is due to the players work ethic in and out of practice. When the team practices at 8 a.m., Guevara said freshman guard Presley Hudson is in the gym at 6:45 a.m. The rest of the team follows.

Guevara said this is the hardest-working team she has ever coached.

"When we start practice, the majority of the players have already been in the gym for half an hour shooting on their own," she said. "That’s the kind of stuff that is paying off for us right now. Every player on this team is really working at improving their game.”

A key to the Chippewas' success as been the play of Hudson. CMU's first points of the season came from Hudson, who drained a three in her first collegiate field-goal attempt. She has 53 points already this season, including 32 against Oakland.

“When you put the work in, you get the confidence," Guevara said. "I think (Hudson) has a lot of confidence. Her teammates have a lot of confidence in her and so does this coaching staff. She can score in a variety of ways and there’s not a selfish bone in that kid’s body.”

CMU's depth has helped aid the minutes of Jewel Cotton. The redshirt junior forward is working her way back from an ACL tear suffered in the fourth game of last season, and has averaged 10 points and 6.5 rebounds in the first two games. She was a rebound away from a double-double against Oakland.

"Jewel’s doing all the other things: rebounding, defending, getting deflections and steals," Guevara said. "Her offensive game is not complete yet. It’s not even halfway there. She’s getting back into it. When she gets going here and gets the confidence, then you really better watch out.”

CMU's post play has also been a key. Cotton, redshirt junior Jasmine Harris, freshman Reyna Frost, and sophomore Tinara Moore helped the Chippewas grab 41 rebounds against the Golden Grizzlies, including 18 offensively. Moore also recorded her first double-double of the season (11 points, 12 rebounds).

The Chippewas have one game in the next 10 days and will not hold practice on Monday. They play Middle Tennessee State at 7 p.m. on Thursday against Middle Tennessee State in its "Diaper Dandy" game. Spectators can get into the game free if they bring in diapers which will be provided for babies in Isabella County.

Guevara wants students to come out on Thursday to watch her team battle the Blue Raiders (2-1).

“Middle (Tennessee) is a really, really good basketball team," she said. "They’re very athletic, very quick. They’re going to be the best team to this point that we will play.”

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →