Gymnastics pulls out the win over Ball State, remains undefeated

The Central Michigan gymnastics team continues their undefeated season, moving to 7-0 after a tight victory over the Ball State Cardinals (3-4, 0-3 Mid American Conference) Sunday in their third home meet this season.

The fans kept McGuirk Arena alive as the Chippewas pulled out the win 195.175 to 194.575.

“I’m just really blessed to coach this team," said Head Coach Jerry Reighard. "It’s been a spectacular first half of the season. I’ve seen so much growth in these young women, especially in our freshman group."

CMU started on vault, landing a 48.525 with help from senior Karlee Teet's 9.775, good for second place on the event. She won the uneven bars with a 9.925.

Freshman Kasey Janowicz recorded a career-high on the uneven bars with a 9.8 and the balance beam with a 9.9. Sophomore Bryttany Kaplan tied her season-best with 9.850, helping CMU score 48.95 overall on bars.

Senior Taylor Bolender wowed the crowd with her 9.925 on floor, tying her career-best score, coming off a rough finish at Northern Illinois with a 8.400 last week. CMU finished on floor a 49.15, the first event score over 49 for CMU this season.

“I saw (Bolender) come into the gym on Monday after that meet. Her work ethic changed, the numbers she was doing in the gym changed," Reighard said. "She was ticked off. Sometimes you just have to have your cage rattled. It was certainly not typical because she’s the reigning MAC champion on floor. I was thrilled to see her come back today and do what she did. It was a game changer.”

Sophomore Macey Hilliker returned Sunday, after being sidelined with an injury for three weeks. Her 9.875 on floor was a career high.

Freshman Kasey Janowicz was crowned with the all-around title for the fifth straight meet.

“There’s more heart and more desire in this group and it’s just starting to come out," Reighard said. "I think we’re going to have great things in the second half (of the season). It’s going to be a tough schedule."

The Chippewas are now 2-0 in the MAC and head to Ypsilanti for another key conference matchup with Eastern Michigan (7-1, 2-0 MAC).