Bovee University Center hosts Super Bowl party for students, community members

In an effort to give students and community members a chance to watch tonight’s Super Bowl 50, the Bovee University Center hosted a Super Bowl 50 party. The event was put on by 1892 Productions and featured free food, beverages and prizes.

The game was shown on one of the large screens in the lounge area of the UC with groups of people crowded around the screen. Many of the students in the study rooms of the lounge would come out to check the score and then return to studying.

The party was small and started with a congregation of about 20 people, many of whom were working on homework or focusing on other activities besides the game.

“I didn’t really even know about the Super Bowl party. Me and my friends were just coming here to study and noticed the game was on,” said Holt sophomore Austin Kent. “I think it’s cool and it’s a good idea that the school would do something like this for the students.”

A majority of the foot traffic through the UC would stop by and watch parts of the game for a while before continuing on their way through the building. A few students would grab food and drinks from the table and continue on their way.

“I saw the game was on so I stopped by and grabbed some of the food, but I only plan on staying for a little while,” said Caro freshman Jonah Branding. “I didn’t even know of any Super Bowl party, but it is a nice idea.”

The crowd grew around the half-time show as many more people came to see Beyoncé and Bruno Mars perform with Coldplay. Many of the attendants were excited to see the show; cheering and singing along with the performers on the screen.

Shortly after the end of the Super Bowl half-time show, the majority of the crowd stayed around for a while. Around the third quarter of the football game a portion of the crowd began to leave or would simply return to their respective study rooms.

“I heard about this on the back of a flier at (a dining hall),” said Pontiac junior Roger Sherman. “ The whole setup is pretty good. I like that the game is on a big TV and I’d definitely come back next year if they do something like this again.”