New app lets students order from on-campus restaurants

Between running to class and going to work, finding time to grab a bite to eat can be hard. Now, students can order food on the go and save time with Tapingo.

The new app lets students coordinate food deliveries and pick-ups on campus. Students can then select Central Michigan University, enter their student ID numbers and use Flex dollars as payment. Credit cards can also be used as payment through the app.

Students can search on-campus restaurants such as Starbucks, Papa John’s or Java City.

Leanne Reis, an employee for Tapingo, said the company strives to make students’ lives easier.

“In just a few clicks, you can browse menus, customize orders, pay and then have your lunch ready for pickup immediately or scheduled at your convenience,” Reis said, “Oftentimes, students are racing between classes, and have to choose between getting food or making it to class on time. Our advance mobile ordering for pickup is a feature eliminates the time wasted waiting in line, which is something that resonates with the college crowd.”

CMU's Campus Dining was also a large part of bringing the app to campus, wanting to make students lives easier by offering the ability to order food on the go.

Nikki Smith, Marketing Manager for Campus Dining, said the app just made it to CMU on Jan. 25. She said while student student-employees may worry about jobs being lost due to the app, those fears are unnecessary.

“Tapingo has the potential to increase through output. For example, if six students that normally stand in line to order at Starbucks start using Tapingo instead, we could then accommodate more students in line as well while maintaining our high standards of customer service,” Smith said.

Although Tapingo has the college students’ benefit in mind, it seemed to make work for the employees a little more difficult. Some baristas at Starbucks are not so sure about it. 

Royal Oak senior Megan Wolynski has mixed feelings about Tapingo.

“I think it is a good idea, but I only like it as a person, not as an employee,” Wolynski said, “I think there will be less people in line but more things to make. I also think there will be more people who stop by when they see the line isn’t very long.”