CEHS hosts workplace violence safety training

Though Central Michigan University has a generally safe campus, faculty, students and staff should still be prepared for emergency situations, said Central Michigan University Police Lt. Cameron Wassman at a presentation about workplace violence on Friday.

The safety training, which was coordinated by the College of Education and Human Services and presented by Wassman, covered awareness, indicators of violence in the workplace and information on what to do in a workplace violence situation.

“We scheduled the training due to CEHS’s ongoing efforts to keep our faculty, staff and students informed of all campus safety procedures,” said program coordinator Sheila Roupe.

Wassman said people can be prepared through education, enforcement and environmental design, which refers to locks on doors, alarm systems, camera systems and more.

Everyone should have a plan for safety, he said, explaining that it doesn’t have to be written out, but everyone should give it some thought and ask themselves some “what if” questions to help stay safe and be prepared in case of an emergency situation.

Because there are so many variables to these situations, he said, there’s no blanket policy or procedure on how to handle it.

“First and foremost, it’s very important to notify the police,” Wassman said.

In an emergency, students, faculty and staff will be notified through Central Alert. 

More information on how to respond in emergency situations can be found on the CMUPD website