Gymnastics makes regionals for eighth consecutive season

For the eighth consecutive year, the Central Michigan gymnastics team is in the postseason. 

CMU will travel to Iowa City, Iowa on April 2 to compete in NCAA Regional Tournament.

In order to qualify for regionals, the Chippewas needed to finish the season ranked within the top 36 teams in the country. After Saturday’s Mid-American Conference Championship, CMU finished ranked 35th with a Regional Qualifying Score of 195.440.

“It’s exciting that our season isn’t over, we just have to keep pushing and keep fighting,” said senior Taylor Bolender.

CMU’s bracket includes top-seeded Oklahoma, No. 12 Nebraska, No. 13 Arkansas, No. 19 Iowa and MAC-rival No. 30 Kent State.

“It’s going to be great to see and match up with the number one team in the nation, we’re excited about that,” said Head Coach Jerry Reighard. “There’s not a lot of difference between our regional qualifying score and (Oklahoma’s), so it will just be a matter of who’s the cleanest.”

CMU will have to finish in first or second place in order to advance to the national championships in Fort Worth, Texas on April 15.

“We’re going to have to rise above," Reighard said. "We’re going to have to be a better vaulting team than we were this past weekend and that will make a huge difference for us."