CMU golf begins MAC Championship Tournament Friday

img_4246
Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Chippewa golf practices during the evening at Mount Pleasant Country Club.

The Central Michigan golf team will swing back into action for the first time since March 29 when they travel to Noblesville, Indiana for the Mid-American Conference Championship.

The three-day event begins on Friday at Purgatory Golf Club, a par-72 course that stretches to 7,754 yards in length.

“We know how the course plays because we played the MAC Preview, so we’ve been over our stats and what clubs we hit the most into the greens,” said redshirt freshman Holly Hines.

Sophomore Natalie Johnson said the Chippewas’ goal for this event is to shoot around 315 to finish in the middle of the pack.

“We’ve got to take it one shot at a time and not get too frustrated over a bad hole or a bad shot,” Johnson said.

Johnson has been CMU’s top golfer for most of this season with a stroke average of 81.3. She has finished with the top score for the Chippewas in two of the three spring events.

“I feel like my tempo is really good right now and I’m really excited to be playing,” Johnson said.

In the 2015 MAC Fall Preview at Purgatory Golf Club, CMU struggled through windy conditions on the final day to finish 12th in the 13-team field.

Last year’s champion Kent State comes into the event fresh off a win in the Lady Buckeye Invitational looking to win its 18th consecutive MAC Tournament title.