Five-run eighth inning lifts Chippewas over Oakland

Central Michigan 7 | Oakland 4

After taking two-of-three games from the Toledo Rockets last weekend, the Central Michigan baseball team stuck to its winning ways in a midweek away game against the Oakland Golden Grizzlies.

The Chippewas (11-30, 5-7 Mid-American Conference) were able to beat Oakland (17-15) 7-4 in Rochester on Wednesday.

Freshman Dazon Cole got the start on the mound for CMU and limited the Golden Grizzlies to two runs in 5 2/3 innings. Cole gave up six hits, four walks and struck out two batters in 94 pitches.

Cole also helped his own cause offensively. He was 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.

“He’s progressing nicely in (pitching and hitting),” said Head Coach Steve Jaksa. “He’s got to keep doing what he’s doing. He’s not even really close to what he can be. He’ll get there if he keeps doing what he’s doing. Today was another good step for him.”

The Chippewas scored a run in the first inning after an RBI ground out by freshman right fielder Daniel Robinson. He finished 2-for-5 with a double and two runs scored.

Oakland scored a run in the third inning to tie the game 1-1. Both teams scored one run in the sixth inning to tie the game 2-2. Then the Chippewas scored five run in the top of the eighth, putting them ahead 7-2. The Chippewas had six of their 12 hits in the eighth inning.

Eight-of-the-nine starters had at least one hit.

“(The eighth inning) was a huge inning,” Jaksa said. “Jipping had a nice hit to left field and was able to get it going with one out. The big at-bat during that sequence was Ryan Heeke’s. We had bases loaded, one out, lefty-on-lefty. He just battled on every pitch and then got a single. We put together some nice hits after that.”

Jaksa put sophomore pitcher Colton Bradley in to pitch during the ninth inning. Bradley gave up two runs, but the Golden Grizzlies did not complete the comeback.

CMU will head to Ypsilanti this weekend and start a three-game series on Friday against the Eastern Michigan Eagles. CMU sits one game behind EMU for fifth place in the MAC standings.