Editorial: Earth Day highlights growing importance of environmental sustainability

Recycle this newspaper after you finish reading it. You will be making the earth a healthier place to live.

In his book “The Tipping Point,” author Malcolm Gladwell explained how a few little things can make a big difference.

This message is appropriate when applied to the greater question of global sustainability and mankind’s role in protecting our natural resources.

As Gladwell explained, all it takes is the influence of a small yet well-respected group of individuals to act as a catalyst for tangible change. He calls this the “power of the few.”

We believe world leaders should reflect on this power — granted to them by their constituencies — and use it to foster a cleaner and more efficient human race.

Wisconsin State Sen. Gaylord Nelson n created Earth Day in 1970. Since then, environmental activists have used this day to spread awareness for what can be better done to lengthen the life expectancy of the human race.

Make no mistake about it. This is a question of awareness and motivation.

Just as Gladwell outlined, change can only occur when the most influential individuals make global sustainability a priority.

We must demand this from world leaders.

During the film “The Last Call” — which was dedicated to the authoring of the famous book on global sustainability “The Limits to Growth” — one ecologist posed a simple yet profound question.

“If we knew the earth was going to end in 30 days, would we act before the 29th day?” he asked.

The answer should be yes.

While it is critical our leaders legislate with global sustainability in mind, it will always fall on each individual person to do thier part to keep the earth healthy.

According to earthday.org, here are some of the best ways you can do your part to create a more sustainable earth.

Urge your local elected officials to make a substantial tree planting commitment by starting a letter-writing campaign or online petition.

Urge businesses to make a substantial tree planting commitment by starting a letter-writing campaign or online petition.

Lead a recycling drive to collect as much plastic, metal, and glass as possible.

Pick up trash at a local park or beach.

Invite an expert, such as a professor or a forester, to educate your community about climate change, the importance of trees, and about how to reduce your carbon footprint.

Set up a screening of an environmentally-themed movie. Consider supplementing the screening with a speaker who can lead a Q&A following the film.

Create an eco-fair with local green businesses and environmental organizations.

Not only will this inform the public of ways they can get involved, but it’s also a fun way to promote local businesses and bring your community together.

To the most passionate environmental activists, Earth Day is not just a 24-hour commitment once a year. It is an every day mindset.

We, as a human race, should strive to live on a healthy and sustainable planet.

Together, we can turn the “power of the few” into the power of all of us.