Editorial: Have a great summer

As the final week of the semester comes to a close, we can’t help but reflect on what a busy year it has been at Central Michigan University.

We need to start by congratulating our May 2016 graduates. You’ve made it.

We are excited to see how successful you will become after life at CMU. We are confident you will make Chippewas everywhere proud.

Please allow us to reflect on the 2015-16 academic year.

From the dynamic season of our football team, to the death of a fellow student and friend on Halloween weekend, the fall 2015 semester had its ups and downs.

The spring 2016 semester saw the closure of the only on-campus pharmacy and the election of a new student government president.

A scary 24-hour period ensued when senior Josh Palmer went missing and tragedy struck our campus community again when fellow Chippewa Jonathan Justice died as a result of excessive alcohol consumption two months earlier.

We were honored to tell all of these important stories as they unfolded in real time on our website and social media platforms.

We appreciate the feedback you provided us on these platforms and on our editorial pages in the print edition.

Our primary mission is to always make sure each student on this campus feels represented and informed on the issues that matter most to them.

This is our final edition of the year. Summer Editor in Chief Andrew Surma will be on campus reporting news on cm-life.com. We resume print publication on the first day of classes next fall — Aug. 29.

In the meantime, “like” the Central Michigan Life Facebook page and follow us on Twitter @CMLIFE to stay up-to-date on what is happening around campus and in the Mount Pleasant community throughout the summer.

Would you like to join our staff?

Applications for reporting, photography, graphic design and video production staff positions are being accepted. Stop by Moore Hall 436 to pick one up.

We have had a lot of fun learning more about this campus and those we serve — the readers — while delivering our content to you in a new newspaper format and through a booming social engagement strategy.

Your engagement is what makes being student journalists so rewarding.

We hope each and every Chippewa has a terrific summer. You’ve earned it.

And, of course, we’ll see you next year.