Prosecutor's office provides information, resources for crime victims

The Isabella County Prosecutor’s Office held an event to advocate for victims’ rights on Friday for the first time in three years.

Victims’ Rights Coordinator Amanda Trenkler and Victims’ Rights Advocate Jennifer Bussel invited various victim aid groups across Isabella County to share information with guests.

Trenkler said the prosecutor’s office used to hold the event annually before it was cancelled. She said this time she wanted to focus on providing resources to victims.

“One of the biggest struggles victims have is they don’t know where to turn to in their community,” Trenkler said.

The event was an open forum in which the audience could visit tables managed by each of the participating groups.

Participants in the event included Listening Ear, CMU Counseling, Child and Family Enrichment, Nami Migizi Nangwiihgan, CMU Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates, the Isabella County Sheriff’s Department and Women’s Aid Service.

As victims’ rights coordinator, Trenkler said her job involves helping victims and their families through the judicial process.

“We make phone calls to victims to keep them up to date, make sure they’re all right and update them on their case," she said.

She also helps victims recover any monetary value lost during the crime and informs victims when the offender is released.

Trenkler, a CMU alumna, said she went to school knowing she wanted to help others.

“I wanted to let them know they’re not alone and they’re okay,” she said.

Next week is National Crime Victims’ Rights week. This year, the theme for the week nationally is building trust and restoring hope.

Photographs taken by art students from Shepherd Township High School were featured during the event. Participants could vote to decide which one best reflected the theme of building trust and restoring hope. The winner will have their photo displayed in the prosecutor’s office during National Crime Victims’ Week.

Trenkler and Bussels said they hope to hold similar events in the future and host speakers.