Towers storm sewer reconstruction project nearly complete

A $190,000 project to reconstruct a pipe that will drain water from a problem spot on campus outside the Towers Residence Hall is scheduled to be complete by the end of next week.

The project, which will install 1,140 feet of underground storm sewer piping, was approved last fall as part of Central Michigan University’s deferred maintenance budget. The budget totals $5.7 million.

Stephen Lawrence, CMU’s vice president of Facilities Management said his department had been aware of water backup issues in Lot 41 since flooding occurred there in August of 2010.

Lot 41 is located off Broomfield Road to the south of Campbell Hall. The pipe will stretch along the west end of Campbell Hall near West Campus Drive and ends at a retention pond at the southeast corner of Lot 39.

“Facilities personnel identified the issue (in 2010),” he said. “At that time, short term repairs were implemented to protect CMU assets. A consultant was hired to complete a storm sewer study to better understand what contributed to the flooding.”

More than five years later, the construction project began on May 9 and has an expected completion date of Wednesday, May 25.

The pipe is made of a corrugated plastic with an inside diameter of 18 inches and an outside diameter of 20 inches.

Lawrence said the pipe has an expected life span of 50 or more years.

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →