Thrilling Thursday kicks off second week with "Let's Ride with the Optimist", Max and Emily's concert series begins

Thrilling Thursday will continue on June 23 with its second event of the series, "Let's Ride with the Optimist", at 6 p.m. The event is located on the corner of Main Street and Broadway Street. 

The Mount Pleasant Police Department will be registering bicycles at the event for free. Free bicycle decorations will be given out to attending children.  Decorations include crepe paper, pipe cleaners and handle bar decorations.

Optimist Club member Steve Hofer said the event looks to open up the Mount Pleasant community.

"I think the event is going to be great. The downtown events and concert series gives (Mount Pleasant) good exposure," Hofer said. "The benefit of the Optimist Club partnering with downtown events is that we're able to hit our goal of being able to get kids and families downtown to take part in the great activities that are put on." 

The Optimist Club will have bicycle courses for participants to follow with their decorated bikes. The course is made up of a basic safety skill tests, including turning bikes in zig-zag motions and using the front and back brakes.

Free helmets and food will be given away at the event. The Optimist Club teamed up with Mount Pleasant to raffle off four bicycles to participants. Raffle tickets will be available for purchase in the Optimist Club tent.

The Optimist Club is a group of volunteers that work together to conduct positive service projects for children in the Mount Pleasant area. The group was created in September of 1969.

Following "Let's Ride with the Optimist", the Max and Emily's summer concert series will kick off with singer-songwriter Olivia Millerschin taking the stage at 7 p.m.

The next Thrilling Thursday event will be a water gun festival called "Super Soaker"  on June 30 at 6 p.m.