CMU student appointed to Mount Pleasant Planning Commission

Central Michigan University student William Joseph’s passion began while listening to his grandfather discuss politics. He said he'd listen “gleefully” as he formed his own opinions.

Sometimes he would voice his opinion to his grandfather and engage in the discussion himself. He began reading the newspaper to be informed on what was happening around the world in preparation for the next family party.

Joseph said he still reads the daily newspaper, but this time for a different reason. Instead of preparing for the next family political debate, he’s working to develop a more broad outlook on the world, helping him be a better planning commissioner.

Joseph was appointed to the planning commission by the Mount Pleasant City Commission on July 13.

“It is still with the youthful enthusiasm to know what is going on around the community, nation and world and to share it with those around me,” he said.

Joseph will serve until Dec. 31, when the remainder of former Planning Commissioner Keith Cotter’s term expires.
He has attended CMU since 2010. His majors are math, political science with an international relations and comparative politics concentration.

What was your childhood like? What did you do in high school? When did you first become interested in politics?

JOSEPH: I am originally from Dearborn. I moved to Brighton when I was seven so my family could be closer to my father's work. My parents did not believe in allowances so I began working part-time when I was 13 as a hockey referee. It was a great job for me because I played hockey from the age of six so it gave me more time on the ice and money for junk food at the lunch cafeteria. In high school, I worked multiple jobs including being a referee. I worked at a breakfast diner named Cheryl's Place, McDonalds and helped my dad run his private practice as a physician.

What experience in your background makes you qualified for municipal government?

JOSEPH: I spent four years with Student Government and was fortunate enough to have a broad experience with multiple roles, including becoming an academic senator and serving on the Libraries Committee as well as Police Oversight. Combined with my studies in constitutional law, I have an advanced base of knowledge on how government processes work and how to work with others to achieve goals for a common good. Just recently, I participated in the Citizens Academy through the City of Mount Pleasant, which gave an in-depth guide to the many functions of the city and an appreciation for the infrastructure and planning that creates one. A mentor and family friend of mine, Frank McGowan, once said, "You can't know everything, but if you know how to find the answer, it makes life easier. This hasn't made me a rich man but a happy one." That is the attitude I bring to the table and I strongly believe it will help me to be successful in municipal government.

Why municipal government? Why now?

JOSEPH: I think municipal government is the most direct way people can make an impact in government. The ability to really focus on improving a community without the distractions, especially partisan conflicts, is attractive to me. Often times national and state politics get caught up in the squabble and then communities suffer. At the local level, there is conflict and ideological differences to work around, but the larger focus is the community where you reside and that presents an opportunity to achieve great work. I've always wanted to be involved in municipal government and I had several people approach and encourage me to do. I decided to take a chance and get involved. It’s something that I always thought would be after I finished school, but when opportunity knocks, you should never ignore it.

What are your goals as a planning commissioner? 

JOSEPH: As of now my term expires at the end of the year, but I hope to get the opportunity to continue to serve longer to advocate for long term growth of Mount Pleasant. My principal goals are to achieve a livable atmosphere for students and the community. I will be highly focused on keeping Mount Pleasant a bike and walk friendly place. I want to make sure residents and businesses are encouraged and have ample opportunity to be environmentally conscious, maintain and improve access to recreation, encourage local business interests, maintain high standards for infrastructure for now and the future.

What role do CMU students play in your goals?

JOSEPH: As a current student and a year-round resident of Mount Pleasant, you cannot ignore the importance of CMU students to this community. I think I will be able to give a perspective from a point of view that has been quiet in local affairs. Being part of a younger generation, it gives me the most opportunity to shape the long term vision and goals of the community. I intend on being connected with the Student Government to be current on the needs and vision of the student body. Obviously I'll be on campus to talk to and listen to what people expect from a great community.

How will you work to engage student interest in municipal affairs?

JOSEPH: I think just the knowing that a student such as myself can become more involved with the city will spark interest. Mount Pleasant has a lot of opportunities that go missed by many students and I hope to bring attention to those. I feel many of my generation and younger feel disenfranchised by the political process and it creates apathy for the whole system. I think to see one of your own friends, classmates or peers given an opportunity to affect change gives a more tangible outlook of government and that I think is key to fighting the apathy and frustration many feel. I also intend to seek out student opinion in a variety of ways. There is an old saying that goes, "once you know you can't ignore" I hope that I can help more students know what is happening in their city.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What's your goal politically?

JOSEPH: In 10 years, I hope to be done with my masters and potentially a PhD. I hope that I still have a seat at the table when it comes to politics, but my role may be different. I think time will tell where I end up. Elected office is something that I aspire to, but I would also be comfortable doing socioeconomic research, writing for publication in a journalism aspect or being a school board member and doing the 9 to 5 teaching or a similar career in my field.

According to the Morning Sun, you studied journalism at Washtenaw Community College. Has studying journalism, in addition to your other areas of studies, helped you politically in anyway? If so, how?

JOSEPH: I don't see a direct connection with my studies in journalism helping me politically, but my interest in journalism definitely goes hand-in-hand with my interest in politics. I was a journalism major for a time and I decided to change to political science. I felt I wanted to write about politics after graduating and a strong background would be helpful.

Answers have been shortened.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →