Rapid Reaction: Central Michigan 44, UNLV 21

Chippewas begin season 3-0 for first time since 2002 with win over Rebels

monica

Sophomore linebacker Alex Briones pumps up the crowd at Kelly/Shorts Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 17. (Photo by Monica Bradburn | Photo Editor)  

Now that the Central Michigan football team has captured some national attention, it proved to critics last week's shocking upset of a bigger school was not a fluke. The Chippewas also made a little history along the way.  

Quarterback Cooper Rush and the Chippewas followed up last week's thrilling last-chance win over Oklahoma State with a 44-21 victory over the University of Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

A crowd of 19,922 watched CMU improve to 3-0 for the first time since 2002. That season ended with a 4-8 record and no trip to a bowl game. 

During a game that lasted three and half hours, the Chippewas relied heavily on production from Rush. The senior captain threw a Kelly/Shorts Stadium-record six touchdowns and a stingy defensive secondary that forced a turnover in each half to stay unbeaten this season.

How it happened: 

The game got out of hand when Rush launched a 42-yard arching pass into the arms of a wide open freshman receiver Brandon Childress, giving CMU a three-score lead early in the fourth quarter. 

The Chippewas opened their second-half scoring on a 31-yard touchdown catch and run by slot receiver Corey Willis.  

Just as it did against Oklahoma State, CMU's offense was slow to get off the ground in the first half. But once Rush settled in, the Chippewas executed their offensive schemes with deadly precision.  

Rush got his team on the board late in the first quarter by finding sixth-year senior Jesse Kroll on a 30-yard touchdown pass off a slant route. It was Kroll's first score of the season. 

On the next drive, Rush hit junior wide receiver Mark Chapman on a13-yard slant pass to give CMU its first lead of the game 14-7. 

The two teams traded touchdowns later in the half before Rush found Willis for 26-yard scoring strike, which gave CMU a 28-21 lead at halftime. 

What it means: 

With the national media buzzing about last week's win, there were plenty of distractions for the team this week. But the Chippewas found a way to keep focused enough to stay undefeated. 

Rush kept his mistakes to a minimum and CMU's defense had perhaps its best game yet. It remains unclear if CMU will ever find any semblance of a consistent running game, but with Rush throwing the ball the way he has through the first three games of the year, the Chippewas might be able to survive on his arm alone. 

Like against Oklahoma State a week ago, UNLV had some serious coverage issues late in the first half. Most Mid-American Conference teams, many of which have played against Rush several times, will be mindful of his effectiveness stretching the field. 

Without a decent rushing attack, it will be unlikely CMU can stay undefeated for much longer. Still, Saturday's result remains a quality victory for CMU and another step in the right direction.  

What's next: 

The Chippewas head to Charlottesville, Virginia at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24 for the last nonconference game of the season.  

Following a heartbreaking 13-10 loss at UConn, the Cavaliers enter next week's matchup 0-3. If the Chippewas can pull of a win against another Power 5 conference school next week, they'll likely crack college football's Top 25. 

CMU opens the Mid-American Conference season against unbeaten rival Western Michigan on Oct. 1 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

Stay with Central Michigan Life for more on today's game. 

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →