Assistant golf coach one step closer to LPGA

unnamed

CMU assistant golf coach Lauren Grogan practices before the first stage of LPGA Qualifying School during the summer of 2016 at a driving range in California.

Ask Central Michigan golf assistant coach Lauren Grogan about the whirlwind schedule she went through this summer, she'll say it's all about one thing — perspective.

The University of Michigan graduate, Grogan, is making her second attempt at earning an LPGA Tour Card. She passed through the first stage of Qualifying School at Mission Hills Country Club in California over the summer and is moving on to stage two at Plantation Golf and Country Club in Florida. Stage two competition begins Thursday.

"It's been such a crazy and wild ride," Grogan said. "But I try to keep things in perspective and realize how lucky I am to have made it this far and be in this position."

In order to obtain her LPGA Tour Card, Grogan must make her way through each of the three stages of Q-School. Golfers advance by competing in a stroke-play tournament. Only a set number of golfers move on to the next stage based on their scores.

To move on to stage two, Grogan had to finish within the top 90. Her score landed right on the number at 294, which was six over par. 

As she walked off her 18th hole, she turned to her dad, who is also her caddie, and told him that she wasn't sure if her final round was enough to get her in to the second stage.

"It was a waiting game," she said. "We knew that it was out of my control because I had played in the morning and just had to wait and see. I was just sitting there going refresh, refresh, refresh on the results page."

Although it was a nerve-wracking experience, Grogan said it was great learning experience and helped her confidence moving forward in her career.

Throughout the process, she has been able to rely on CMU head coach Cheryl Stacy for advice and moral support. Stacy was Grogan's coach at Michigan before coming to CMU in 2014 and went through the process of trying to become a professional golfer after coming up as a top-ranked amateur.

"It's been good to see Lauren playing well. She's been a great role model for the players," Stacy said. "We texted a lot over the summer and I just try to help her in any way I can."

Being surrounded by support has made grinding through the tough days on the course easier for Grogan and helped her keep a level head.

"I wouldn't have been able to do it without the support system I've had," she said. "Whether it's been my friends, family, the girls on our team, my Michigan family or my coworkers here, everyone has been so supportive and I really appreciate it."

If Grogan is able to finish within the top 80 this weekend, she will move on to the third and final stage of Q-School in Daytona Beach, Florida, starting Nov. 28.

The Central Michigan golf team plays in the Mid-American Conference Preview on Monday in Kent, Ohio.