Alumni associations bond over Homecoming Parade

dsc_0016

Members of the CMU marching band perform while walking in the homecoming parade Oct. 8, 2016.

Alpena freshman Connor Thatcher stood in front of the Honor's Program Tailgate as decorated floats and trucks passed in front of him.

Candy was thrown from the floats into open palms as the Central Michigan University Marching Band followed behind, playing the fight song as part of the 2016 Homecoming Parade.

The parade began at 11 a.m. in Parking Lot 22 before heading down Main Street into downtown Mount Pleasant.

“I think it is good to put on gatherings like these. (It lets students) get the people involved and to tailgate before the big game,” Thatcher said. “I would definitely do it again.”

The Alumni Associated helped plan the parade. Alumnus Kathyrn Parrot said she was reminiscing on her time at CMU as the parade rolled by.

“There are more participants now than when I was in college,” Parrott said. “The marching band is definitely my favorite part.”

Alumni and new residents of Mount Pleasant, Matt and Abby Seidel, said it was their first time attending the parade and already plan on returning next year.

“The kids really enjoyed it, especially when they were passing out candy. It’s a good way to make new friends by coming here,” Matt said.

Sophomore Cameron Rush couldn’t help but notice the float rolling by titled "Terror on 27," which was decorated with a horror theme.

“There were people handing out flyers for this ‘Terror on 27.’ The best part was the guy dressed up to look creepy who would just scare the crap out of people there,” Rush said.

Not too far from Parking Lot 22, the Student Alumni Association was being held to provide alumni to catch up over breakfast while watching the parade, including its own float. The float featured alumni sporting their game day attire while helping the crowd to "fire up."

“Hearing the Fight Song again was so awesome,” expresses Parrott. “Coming to this parade makes me feel so spirited."