Rapid Reaction: CMU 34, NIU 28

josh_cox_niu

Sophomore defensive back Josh Cox walks off the field after a play against Northern Illinois Oct. 3 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. He led all Chippewas with two pass breakups.

It took three overtimes, but Central Michigan football won its second straight game Saturday, defeating Northern Illinois 34-28 in DeKalb.

Senior quarterback Cooper Rush carried the team to victory at the end of the game, throwing two touchdowns in the overtime periods, including the game-winner to junior tight end Tyler Conklin to seal the victory.

CMU's win improves its record to 5-2 overall and 2-1 in the Mid-American Conference. The Chippewas are second place in the MAC West Division behind Western Michigan (7-0, 3-0 MAC).

Rush led a balanced offensive attack, completing 19-of-35 passes for 254 yards and three touchdowns with two interceptions — the first of which made Rush CMU's all-time leader in interceptions thrown.

How it happened

CMU scored the first points of the game on an 11-yard connection from Rush to junior fullback Trevor Thomas. It was Thomas' first reception of the season.

The touchdown came after junior cornerback Josh Cox intercepted his third pass of the season, giving the ball to the offense in the red zone.

NIU immediately responded with a 75-yard touchdown drive in the second quarter, scoring on a pass that receiver Christia Blake ripped out of CMU junior cornerback Amari Coleman's hands in the end zone.

The Chippewas scored a touchdown at the end of the first half to regain a 14-7 lead on a drive led by senior running back Jahray Hayes. On the drive, Hayes accounted for 30 of the 48 yards needed.

The Huskies evened up the score at 14-14 in the third quarter on an 11-yard touchdown pass that finished off a 13-play, 80 yard drive.

Junior running back Devon Spalding gave CMU a 21-14 lead on a 58-yard touchdown run late in the fourth quarter, but the Chippewas allowed the Huskies to score on a 53-yard run the following possession to tie the score.

After senior kicker Brian Eavey missed a 32-yard field goal that would have given the Chippewas the lead with 16 seconds left, the game went into overtime.

CMU scored the first touchdown of overtime on a pass from Rush to junior wide receiver Corey Willis. NIU responded with a 13-yard touchdown pass of its own to tie the game at 28 before falling 34-28.

The Chippewas had an oppurtunity to win the game in the second overtime, but Eavey missed another field goal — this one from 35-yards out — and NIU got the ball back.

CMU forced the Huskies to kick a field goal on fourth down in the third overtime, but the kick was blocked by senior defensive lineman and team captian Kelby Latta. Rush found Conklin for the game-winner on the ensuing play.

What's next

CMU plays its second consecutive road game next Saturday against Toledo (5-1, 2-0 MAC). Kickoff is scheduled for noon.