Soccer ties Ball State 0-0 in double overtime

dsc_0151

After pulling out a 1-0 win against Miami (OH) in double overtime on Friday, Central Michigan found itself in another double overtime match against Ball State on Sunday in Mid-American Conference women's soccer action.

The Chippewas (10-1-1, 2-1-1 MAC) and Cardinals stayed gridlocked at 0-0 for the entire match Sunday as CMU recorded its first tie of the season. 

Grit and character, head coach Peter McGahey said, is exactly what his team displayed during the past two games — a total of 215 minutes of soccer in three days. 

"I'm really proud of our performance and (the team's) effort and grittiness, overcoming an overtime game on Friday night," he said. "Ball St. is a Top 50 RPI team, so to have this kind of performance and grind it out really showed good grit a character. Sometimes like on a day like today, you may not get the result you want exactly. We played 215 minutes of soccer this weekend and we didn't concede a goal. I think there's a lot of positives to take away from today."

CMU recorded just three shots on goal against the Cardinals, who had just two shots. 

The Cardinal, who were leading the MAC West Division coming into Sunday, may be a team CMU sees again in the MAC Tournament in late October. McGahey said he's not looking that far ahead, but instead is taking the season game-by-game.

"I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to have for breakfast tomorrow morning," he said. "There's so much soccer left. What you saw today is in the MAC, you always have to earn it. There's no gimmes. It's bring your best A game, because (your opponent) is bringing their best A game. We did a good job of earning what we got (on Sunday)."

CMU has scored four goals during its last five games, going 3-1-1. 

The Chippewas travel to Toledo on Thursday, then return home to host Bowling Green on Sunday.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →