Six wrestlers earn first place at Michigan State Open

Junior C.J. Brucki wrestles Virginia’s junior Tyler Askey on Nov. 13 in McGuirk Arena.

Seven wrestlers from Central Michigan went to title matches on Sunday at the Michigan State Open. Six won first place. 

CMU's Brent Fleetwood (125), Justin Oliver (149), Colin Heffernan (157), CJ Brucki (174), Jordan Ellingwood (184) and Austin Severn (197) all finished in first place at the Michigan State Open. Corey Keener lost in his title match, finishing second in the 133 pound weight class.

All of the title matches that included Chippewas were won by decision. 

Colin Heffernan, the reigning MAC Wrestler of the Week, improved his record to 10-0 after winning four of his matches today. He won his title match by decision over Northern Illinois' Caden McWhirter.

"He's off to a really good start," said head coach Tom Borrelli. "A lot of his hard work and dedication is paying off for him."

The Open included teams from the Big Ten Conference like Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State and 17 other schools. Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan are all ranked in the Top 15 in tournament play, according to InterMat

No team scores were kept during the Open, but Central Michigan did have the most wrestlers in title matches and the most to win title match. 

Central Michigan travels to Las Vegas to participate in the Cliff Keen Invitational on Dec. 2-3.