Food taster celebrates African-American cuisine

This year’s Black History Month Food Taster was held at the Wesley Foundation on Feb 15 from 4 to 7 p.m.

The event was one of many organized by the Multicultural Academic Student Services department in honor of black history month.

The entry fee was $5 for CMU students and $7 for the general public.

Attendees enjoyed a buffet of traditional soul food provided by catering company Soul Sista's. Some of the dishes included baked and fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, yams, greens, and more.

D’wayne Jenkins, the assistant director of the Multicultural Academic Student Services department, said events like this have been going on for over 10 years and they expected around 200 people to attend.

Many of the participating students received the Multicultural Advancement and Lloyd Cofer scholarship, which requires them to attend a certain number of these kinds of events throughout the year.

With approximately 150 students, faculty, and staff members the atmosphere was very friendly and laidback with constant music in the background.

In previous years, the event was held in the Bovee University Center.

Dillon James, a senior from La Porte, Ind. and a Multicultural Advancement Scholar said he attended the event to see what foods would be represented in a Black History Month food taster.

“Food is usually that unifier, it kind of brings people together,” said Jenkins.

Southfield senior Kendyl Steward said she appreciates attending events that focus on different cultures. 

“I think it’s important that everybody’s culture gets represented,” Stewart. “It’s nice to have some events in a month that are dedicated to doing things for us so that we don’t just get stuck feeling like a minority like we do the rest of the year.”