CM Action gathers roughly 2,000 signatures for Gender and Sexuality Center

After about five weeks, a petition supporting a Gender and Sexuality Center at Central Michigan University has roughly 2,000 signatures.

Central Michigan Action, a progressive organizing and action network, hosted an event titled “Art and Activism” on Tuesday afternoon in the Bovee University Center. The event raised awareness for a Gender and Sexuality Center on campus.

Rockford junior Evan Wittenbach said the Gender and Sexuality Center would be a combination of women’s awareness and the LGBTQ+ community. It would provide services such as Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates (SAPA) and other programs and workshops that help survivors of sexual assault.

“We really want to show that there is a significant amount of students that support this center," Wittenbach said. "We want to continue raising awareness and whenever we get in contact with other (registered student organizations). It’s very exciting for everybody."

Harrison sophomore Olivia Cyman organized the event. Members of the group held up signs, while others passed out candy and stickers. There also was an area for nonmembers to make their own sign.

Members were available to explain what their group hopes to achieve and took the time to collect signatures for the petition. Members have stood outside the library, set up tables in the UC and have visited several buildings to garner more signatures.

Students Advocating Gender Equality (SAGE) has notified Central Michigan Life that a town hall regarding the Gender and Sexuality Center is planned for March 15.

Cyman said CM Action has united to try to better the lives of students on campus.

“I joined this group after I attended an anti-hate seminar,” Cyman said. “It was really empowering and I wanted to be more involved. Everyone is friendly and we all work together to get things done.”