Gender and Sexuality Center discussion slated for Wednesday in Park Library

A town hall discussion about the possibility of opening a Gender and Sexuality Center at Central Michigan University is slated for 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 15 at the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium.

The purpose of the meeting is to bring in as many voices as possible to discuss the importance of establishing the Gender and Sexuality Center, said Waterford junior Autumn Gairaud, the Gender and Sexuality Center campaign leader for Central Michigan Action, a progressive activist student organization

“One day it has to get passed, especially with the long history of people advocating for (opening the center)," Gairaud said. "Having this center as a hub for community and empowerment for students is so important and could help us shift the culture on this campus."

Student leaders, faculty and staff will speak first, Gairaud said. The microphone will then be turned over to anybody in attendance who wants to share their thoughts, Gairaud said. The event is set to end at 9 p.m., with a short meeting after for those interested in advocating for opening a Gender and Sexuality Center.

Student Government Association passed a resolution in January calling for a Gender and Sexuality Center. SGA President Jazmin Biernat has long said the center would combine the current Office of LGBTQ+ Services on campus with a proposed women’s center. Gairaud said the Gender and Sexuality Center would cover more issues and have more resources.

Over the past months, members of CM Action have gathered signatures from students and faculty supporting the creation of the center.

Two seats at the meeting will be reserved for University President George Ross and Provost Michael Gealt.

CM Action, Black Lives Matter and Students Advocating Gender Equality are among the groups involved in the planning process, Gairaud said. She hopes the auditorium is filled with support for the center, which other institutions have on their campuses, she said.

Follow Central Michigan Life for coverage of the town hall.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →