Women's hammer throw record highlights Jesse Owens Classic

Senior Kylee Dobbelaere highlighted the Chips’ trip to Ohio State for the Jesse Owens Classic this past weekend by breaking the school’s hammer throw record, measuring a 59.18 meter toss Friday afternoon.

The first toss of her night landed at 59.09 meters, already a CMU track & field record and a personal best by over half a meter. Her next three tosses landed a bit shorter before her big fifth throw.

Her fantastic performance culminated in a fifth place finish.

The best finish for the runners this weekend was junior Megan O’Neil’s first place in the 5,000. She finished with a time of 16:39.95, a personal record by over 40 seconds.

Men’s results:

Freshman Logan Targgart finished fourth in the hammer throw while senior teammate Dylan Banagis finished eighth. Targgart came in at 65.15 meters, 55 cm short of a school record, and Banagis measured at 60.75.

Banagis also placed fourth in the discus, going for 52.61 meters.

Junior Sam Wagner’s season high 5.01 pole vault gave him second place on the night.

Taking third in the triple jump was sophomore Jake Peister, whose 14.73 meter jump was his farthest of the season.

Sophomore Kevin Weiler’s 17.83 meter shot put gave him fifth place.

After a first place finish last weekend, sophomore Avery Joseph took seventh in javelin with a 58.83 meter toss, about half a meter short of a personal best.

Junior Lorenzo Wells ran a 10.78 100, giving him a solid 11th place finish. That was his fastest run of the season.

With a time of 1:53.52, senior Scott Cousino took 11th in the 800 while freshman teammate Luke Anderson took 17th with 1:55.51.

Anderson also placed fifth in the steeplechase, finishing in 9:15.63. Both of Anderson’s times were outdoor career bests.

Women’s results:

Only four centimeters short of a personal best, sophomore Calli Stemple leaped 1.68 meters to take second in the high jump.

Freshman Nadia Williams’ 24.58 second 200 gave her ninth place. She also competed in the long jump, leaping 5.92 meters for fourth.

Sophomore Samantha Cuneo finished fourth in the 400 with a 55.68 second finish.

Also taking fourth was senior Kelsey Ross in the 800 with a time of 2:10.15, just .08 seconds short of a personal best.

Finishing ninth in the javelin was junior Wendy Szuminski with a 36.36 meter toss, just one week removed from setting a personal best with 37.19.

Next up:

The team will be divided into two meets next weekend, with some athletes traveling to Philadelphia for the Penn Relays and others going to Hillsdale, MI for the Gina relays. Both will begin Friday, April 28 and run through Sunday.