CMU student accused of assaulting roommate in Wheeler Hall identified, arraigned

screen-shot-2017-09-19-at-12-16-45-pm
Quinn McCrum

A Central Michigan University freshman accused of assaulting one roommate and threatening another with a knife in Wheeler Hall was arraigned Monday in Isabella County Court and charged with domestic violence and assault with a dangerous weapon.

Quinn McCrum, 18, posted bond and was released from custody, according to the Central Michigan University Police Department. He is due back in court today for a probable cause hearing. He is scheduled for a preliminary examination Sept. 28.

The Registar’s Office told Central Michigan Life on Wednesday morning that McCrum started classes at CMU this fall and was still enrolled as a student.

Around 12:30 a.m. Monday, CMU issued an emergency phone call to students and staff about a student who threatened his roommates with a knife on the seventh floor of Wheeler Hall and fled the scene.

McCrum’s roommate told police he was assaulted, according to a CMUPD press release. McCrum also advanced at another roommate with an open pocket knife before leaving the scene. The initial notice said the knife was three-to-four inches with the blade drawn.

Lt. Cameron Wassman of the CMUPD said there was a verbal argument that turned into a physical encounter between three roommates.

“The victims did the right thing,” Wassman said. “They called us immediately and gave us information.”

Wassman said police were able to locate McCrum using a combination of video surveillance and cellphone locations. He said there was at least one phone call after the emergency message went out saying a person matching the description was spotted.

After a police investigation, McCrum was found south of campus near the expressway. CMU issued a final notice via phone at 2:20 a.m. Monday reporting he was in custody.

Nobody involved in the incident sustained injuries that required medical attention, police said.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →