Poetry open mic night to be hosted in memory of CMU professor Matthew Echelberger Monday

An open mic poetry tribute is being hosted in honor of Central Michigan University professor Matthew Echelberger at 7 p.m., Monday, Sept. 18. at Art Reach of Mid-Michigan in the Morey Family Gallery, 111 E. Broadway St.

Echelberger was a professor in the department of English Language and Literature at CMU since 1988. He was also a poet who had been published in numerous literary journals. He died in January after a battle with leukemia.

Robert Fanning, founder and facilitator of the Wellspring Literary Series and faculty member of the department of English Language and Literature, is hosting the night in remembrance of Echelberger.

“Writing poetry is an incredible, intimate act," Fanning said. "While he’s with us spiritually, we will be connecting with Matthew through his deepest perceptions."

The Wellspring Literary Series is a reading series that has been taking place downtown Mount Pleasant since 2008. The series brings in writers and poets from around the state to read their work.

“I’m excited about this event because every artist should be celebrated through the work they’ve done, and this is a way of celebrating his,” Fanning said.

The event will begin with readings from Fanning, Ron Primeau a friend and office mate of Echelberger and Echelberger’s wife Andrea. After that, the floor is open to whomever.

Admission is free and open to the public. Food and refreshments will be provided by the restaurant Max and Emily's.