Volleyball beats Toledo in MAC opener

Central Michigan Volleyball team celebrates after they defeat the Toledo Rockets on Sept. 21 in the McGuirk Arena. 

Paige Carey's 47 assists led the Chippewas to their first win in a conference opener since 2014. 

"Preseason played a big part in preparing us for the MAC," freshman Miana Bolden said. "This is our season." 

It took all five sets, but Central Michigan (9-4) defeated the Toledo Rockets (5-8) by a score of 3-2.

The Chippewas won the first set 25-19 after dominating the latter half of the set.

Central Michigan carried their momentum over to the second set jumping out to a 10-6 lead. CMU fought off a late push from Toledo icing the set with a block from Taylor Robertson to win 25-23. 

"We played a great first and second set, I don't want to just gloss over those because they we're really great," head coach Mike Gawlik said. "We knew Toledo was going to answer the call."

Toledo answered the aforementioned call by controlling the majority of third and fourth set, winning 25-19 and 25-20.

Central Michigan stopped the Rockets momentum in the final frame. CMU dominated the fifth set from start to finish winning 15-11. 

"We look at set five as a fresh start," Gawlik said. "I really like the competitive nature in our huddle and the resolve of looking each other in the eye and saying set five ours." 

The Chippewas return to action against Ball State at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 23 in McGuirk Arena.