EDITORIAL: Be safe this Homecoming, please

Have fun this weekend, don’t forget to take care, look out for each other

editorial
Students paint their bodies at the tailgate before the football game against Rhode Island on Aug. 31 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

This Saturday is Homecoming, one of the biggest annual events at Central Michigan University.

This weekend is one of our last home football games and tailgates. 

We know that for many students, this is a time for school spirit and hanging out with friends — and yes, drinking.

Please, don’t forget to be safe and look out for one another.

Every year 1,825 college students die and 696,000 between the ages of 18 and 24 are injured due to “alcohol-related unintentional injuries,” according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism reports

We aren’t trying to lecture you. We just want you to be safe.

Make sure you regularly throughout the day stay hydrated, charge your phone and check the weather before you head out. Dress appropriately and be aware of your surroundings.

Please keep an eye out for anyone who looks like they may be in trouble or severely inebriated. There are too many stories about college students not doing anything for someone who is in distress.

Let's not have this weekend be one of those times.

If you are at a party or on your way to one and you see someone stumbling home drunk, or hear someone asking for a phone to call their friends — help them.

We know there will be underage drinking this weekend. If you choose to drink underage, don't hesitate to call in emergency situations. There is medical amnesty for minors. If you or a friend are drunk, you will not be arrested if you have to go to the hospital or if you are calling for help.

Officers will be around all weekend. Lt. Cameron Wassman of the Central Michigan University Police Department said additional law enforcement will be on-hand this weekend. They are not trying to write tickets, but want to make sure CMU and Mount Pleasant are a safe campus and city, respectively.

Call a cab to make sure your friend gets home safe, take the time to ride with them and then make your way back to the party.

There are cab companies in Mount Pleasant running 24 hours this weekend so there is no excuse to drink and drive. For any students on campus there is Safe Rides — a free, 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. van system that will transport students. The vans have scheduled routes for pick up and drop off every 15 to 25 minutes.

Drink at your own pace. Don't feel pressured to drink more than you are comfortable with.

Underage drinking is a fact on college campuses, but that doesn’t mean alumni or older students should encourage it.

Keep yourself and each other safe.

This weekend there should only be one thing on your mind — “Fire Up, Chips.”

Have a happy, safe Homecoming.

Cabs to Call when you need to get home:

• Chippewa Cab 989-779-2227
  • Stargazer Transportation LLC 989-560-1953
  • U-Ride Taxi 989-772-7433
  • About Time Transportation 989-773-0709
  • Job Cab 989-944-1862
  • Affordable Taxi 989-775-7500
  • T&S Transportation 989-996-5104
  • Ride Safe Taxi 989-621-0775