'Little Miss Flint' receives four-year scholarship from CMU

missflintvisit03sj

President George Ross, left, shakes hands with Amariyanna "Mari" Copeny after awarding her a scholarship Nov. 6, 2017. (Courtesy Photo/University Communications)

At age 10, "Little Miss Flint" has been offered a scholarship to attend Central Michigan University.

Amariyanna "Mari" Copeny visited CMU on Monday, Nov. 6 and met with President George Ross, who presented her with a four-year, $25,000 scholarship to attend the university, according to a CMU News release.

Last year, Copeny gained attention for writing to President Barack Obama to visit Flint as it deals with the ongoing water crisis. She met with Obama in May 2016 when he visited the city.

Since then, Copeny has teamed up with Bad Axe junior Galen Miller with "Pack Your Back," a nonprofit organization that serves Flint children with backpacks and school supplies.

Ross, who is a Flint native, wrote a letter to Copeny, according to CMU News.

"I am proud that you are a member of our CMU family and represent us in such an impressive manner," Ross stated in the letter. "Mari, your achievements serve as a leadership example to our entire university, this state, the nation and beyond. Thank you for putting your stamp on the world."

If Copeny chooses to attend CMU, she would have to enroll as a degree-seeking student in an eligible program, continually enroll full time and achieve a minimum 3.0 grade point average during the four years of her scholarship in order to maintain it.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →