Mount Pleasant to host first Dachshund Derby

19293_logot

The first Dachshund Derby will take place from 1-2:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 4 in Finch Fieldhouse. 

The event is free of cost and will consist of an afternoon of dog racing and entertainment. The public will be able to meet the racers, vote for the best dressed pup and play games. 

Troy junior Andrew Faubel will be working the event signing people in, distributing food tickets and collecting donations. 

"It was surprising how quickly this event received recognition," Faubel said. "The idea came from hearing about the wiener dog race they have for Oktoberfest in Frankenmuth, and I think it got so much recognition because this hasn't been done in Mount Pleasant before."

Guests are asked to bring a donation for the Mount Pleasant Humane Animal Treatment Society to help support the cause. A list of accepted donations can be found on the humane society's website. 

"We were scared that we weren't going to have enough dogs for the event, but the spots filled within three to four days," Faubel said. "We currently have dogs coming from 16 cities in Michigan, with ages ranging (from) one to 18 (years old)." 

Activities will begin at 1 p.m. and the first race will kick off at 2 p.m. Free hot dogs will be provided.