Football's Conklin accepts invitation to 2018 Reese's Senior Bowl

30331_football_3f
Senior tight end Tyler Conklin attempts to break a tackle after making a catch during CMU’s 49-10 loss to Western Michigan on Oct. 1, 2016 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan football’s senior tight end Tyler Conklin has accepted an invite to the 2018 Reese's Senior Bowl.

Conklin is just one of three players to accept an invitation this week to game that doesn’t attend a Power Five school. Hawaii’s safety Trayvon Henderson and Weber State’s Taron Johnson are the other two non-Power Five players who received an invitation this week.  

The current roster has 36 players, 19 of which play at a non-Power Five school, FCS or Division III levels. 

Conklin was named to the 2017 John Mackey Award preseason watch list, given to the nation's top tight end. 

Conklin had a breakout season in 2016, recording 42 receptions for 560 yards with six touchdowns.

Conklin broke his foot in training camp and was forced to miss the team's first five games in 2017. 

Since his return, Conklin has made 28 catches for 406 yards and added five touchdowns in seven games. 

He has helped lead the Chippewas to a 8-4 regular season record with five consecutive victories to end the season.

The 2018 Reese’s Senior Bowl will be played at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 27 in Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Alabama. It will be televised on the NFL Network.