Two philanthropies selected for Greek Week 2018

19293_logot

Greek Week 2018 will raise money for two philanthropies: Women's Aid Service and Special Days Camps. 

Greek Week is scheduled for March 26-April 5. During Greek Week, teams of different fraternity and sorority chapters earn points by participating in activities to raise money for the selected philanthropies. The goal for this year is to raise more than $100,000 for these philanthropies, said Greek Week Committee member Brooke Thomas. 

Women’s Aid Service, which provides safety to survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault, and Special Days Camps, which provides camping opportunities to children who have experienced cancer, were selected through a voting process. 

The Greek Week Committee selected eight philanthropies based on how the organizations would use the money, the impact the organizations have on Isabella County and the service opportunities the organizations would provide during Greek Week, Thomas said. 

Each fraternity and sorority chapter had the opportunity to submit two votes. The deadline to vote was 5 p.m. on Dec. 8. At that time, 17 chapters had voted, with Women’s Aid Service and Special Days Camps receiving the most votes out of the eight choices, Thomas said. 

The money raised during Greek Week will go toward the organizations’ operation costs. Greek Week raised $83,500 for the Isabella County Child Advocacy Center and the Kristy Malter Memorial Fund in 2017, $67,577 for the Derrick Nash Strong Foundation in 2016 and $50,047 for the Keisha Y. Brown Angel Wings Fund in 2015.