Phi Beta Sigma collects 80 Toys for Tots donations at holiday event

Senior Nisha Collins, left, and junior Chloe White, right, pose with junior Nicholas Simms in Troutman Hall on Dec. 8.

Members of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity danced together in the Troutman Hall lobby as people delivered donations for Toys for Tots. 

The Lambda Gamma chapter of Phi Beta Sigma held a donation event on Dec. 8 to make a difference for children during the holiday season. The members listened to Christmas and hip-hop music as people played cards and board games. Christmas cookies and blue punch were also available in the lobby. 

“We wanted to make it fun to appeal to people, like a social event that has a good cause behind it,” said Jordan Wilder of Phi Beta Sigma. 

Phi Beta Sigma members collect donations for Toys for Tots on Dec. 8 in the Troutman Hall lobby.

The theme was blue holiday to match the fraternity’s color. One of the members was dressed in a blue Santa suit and the majority of the members wore blue Christmas hats. 

Each person who came to the event with a toy donation received a ticket to win a small prize in the raffle from Santa’s gift bag. At the end of the event, they awarded the “Most Spirited Donor”, whoever was best dressed up for the holidays, and “Most Presents Donated” with a larger prize to ‘win' the raffle. 

“It’s a friendly competition. It’s just to reward the people who brought the most,” said Nick Franks of Phi Beta Sigma. "It’s us showing our appreciation and it’s an incentive to donate. Christmas is about giving and receiving. If you give to the event, you will receive from us."

The event collected 80 toys for the local Toys for Tots foundation in the Central Michigan area. 

“We didn’t have a set goal and didn’t put a number on how many toys we wanted,” Franks said. “We just want to make a difference and to brighten a few Christmases. That was our goal.” 

The nearest Toys for Tots foundation distributes to Isabella and Clare counties. This location will be distributing the toys on Dec. 23 from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Finch Fieldhouse.