Culture Control to allow students to discuss sexual assault, other issues in the U.S.

19293_logot

Culture Control will provide an open discussion about shootings, sexual assault, police brutality and how to keep Central Michigan University's campus safe at 7 p.m. Feb. 26. in Anspach 161.

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. will host the event in partnership with Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates and CMUPD.

Macomb junior Monica Hill, president of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., is helping coordinate the event alongside Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.

Hill said the event was prompted by sexual assault incidents going unnoticed and by the concerns of CMU students regarding the increase of mass shootings in the U.S.

"The event is important for students not only to be informed, but also to spark change," she said. "To know what's going on and change them is powerful. This is a safe space for students to have an open and honest conversation. Events like this need to happen every year, especially with the (increase of) events going on in the nation and on campus."

The event will consist of an open discussion with a panel including professionals from SAPA and the police department, where students can ask questions in a comfortable setting.