Defensive backs coach Hall joins CMU with NFL pedigree

Nearly two months after former defensive backs coach Archie Collins departed to Pittsburgh, former Oregon State interim head coach Cory Hall has accepted the job. 

Hall's position was officially announced on March 18. 

Having played six years in the NFL, Hall took over midway through last season after the Beavers and Gary Anderson parted ways, finishing 0-6 but losing twice by single-digits. OSU won one game in 2017. 

Hall, 41, inherits a CMU secondary that led the NCAA FBS in takeaways (31) at the end of the regular-season. Three starters in Amari Coleman, Josh Cox and Darwyn Kelly are leaving the program due to graduation. 

Central Michigan Life spoke with Hall on his relationship with John Bonamego, recruiting, his time at Oregon State and the up-and-coming defensive backs group. 

CM-Life: Overall thoughts on your first week here with the program? 

Hall: It's a transition, you know, getting settled in and getting to know the personalities. Getting to know the attributes, the mentalities of the room is always exciting because it's new. The bonds and relationships are starting to build. So in the first week, I've expressed to the players that it's not only them getting to know me, but also vice versa. I'm excited to have such a dynamic group.

What enticed you to come to Central Michigan? 

(Bonamego) and just being a fan of football. You know about the Chippewas — there's good football being played here. I love this atmosphere. It reminds me back at Fresno State with Jim Sweeney and Pat Hill. They have been my mentors, my coaches, and the people that I looked up to. So when I look at Bono, he has that professional experience and passion.

Is there difference between the college and NFL game?

It's the technical aspect when trying to break things down. You understand that there's developmental things that need to be established. It should have started in high school but it really starts at the collegiate level. You use that as trying to communicate to players because I've been there at both the college and pro level. I use that background to explain, give back the experience and give them the stuff to understand the knowledge. 

What's your recruiting philosophy? 

It is to recruit the best players and players who love football. I want to look for the young Cory Hall's and that's not just defensive backs. That's not just lineman or receivers. You want to give opportunities. When you say, 'What's my philosophy?' It'll be the best athletes for Central Michigan. If you're a football player, I'll be taking applications. 

Does the fact that CMU's secondary is young play a factor in your decision? 

Absolutely. You (can) look at (the age of) Sean Bunting, Da'Quaun Jamison, Brandon Brown, Troy Brown, I can keep going on. You look at a developed Devonni Reed, Norman "Bubba" Anderson, all of them have something special and dynamic. Even Tee'Ondre Harvey, you see how long, physical and fast he is. It's a young group, but it's a very talented group.

Have you seen the veterans like Bunting and Jamison take hold of that leadership role? 

When (Bunting) steps onto the field, you can tell that he is more of a "follow me and do what I do" personality. Certain things are expected of him. Not just from a coaches perspective but from players. You can tell that receivers want him. Obviously, if I'm a receiver, I want your best. Same thing with Da'Quaun, so getting those guys to harness that emotion and put the right focus on it, it doesn't seem like a daunting task at all. They're great athletes, great players and great people. 

How did your time as interim head coach help you prepare for this role? 

It was the things behind the scenes that you never know as an assistant. It put things into perspective as far as what am I aspiring to do and the direction that I want to take my career. Having that opportunity to lead that group of guys (at Oregon State), I mean you're talking about a task that was an uphill battle. But to do it and not flinch taught me something about myself.