St. Patrick’s Day for Newbies

st-patricks-day-2070200_960_720

To some, March 17 is just another day on the calendar. To the wise, March 17 is a day to break out your brightest green gear and hit the streets with friends and family. It’s a day to drink beer until you’re dancing a jig and eating a savory corned beef dinner. They call this cherished day Saint Patrick’s Day.

A Quick History Lesson

Saint Patrick’s Day, or the Feast of Saint Patrick, celebrates the death of Ireland’s patron saint. Saint Patrick is credited for spreading Christianity throughout Ireland. Originally, Saint Patrick’s Day wasn't widely celebrated around Ireland, and it wasn’t until the Irish emigrated to America and began to have Saint Patrick’s Day celebrations to connect to and display their heritage. In fact, pubs in Ireland were closed on Saint Patrick’s day until the 1970’s, as it was meant to be a religious holiday, but an influx of American tourists looking to celebrate in Ireland has a caused a shift in how the Irish celebrate. 

St. Patrick’s Day Shenanigans You Can Partake In

• As the Irish would say, “dance a jig” to some classic Irish tunes. My personal favorite growing up was always The Unicorn Song by the Irish Rovers. Or, check out this Spotify playlist to get the whole crowd jumping for gold. 
  • Head to Bay City, located about an hour from Mount Pleasant, and check out their annual Saint Patrick's Day Parade equipped with stunning floats and live musical performances. 
  • Crash someone’s Saint Patrick’s Day gathering, or throw your own with the dartying expertise of Molly Young  
  • Deck yourself out in green and shamrock accessories, both of which are commonly associated with Saint Patrick’s Day. Save some green by getting your gear at places like Five Below or the Dollar Tree
  • Run to the end of the nearest rainbow to find a Leprechaun's pot of gold. Nobody has ever proved to actually do this, but it’s worth a shot. 
  • Shake your shamrocks at O’Kelly’s. They’re one of the few year-round Irish bars in town, and they’ve got specials all day long. When else can you get away with going to the bar at 9 a.m.? 

Eat, Drink and Get Lucky

The most common Saint Patrick’s Day dish is corned beef and cabbage, though you won’t find anyone in Ireland eating this dish as it became popular in the U.S.  after Irish immigrants improvised and steered away from the traditional Irish dish, lamb or bacon. You can attempt to make your own, or head to the Green Spot, an Irish pub on Mission Street, that serves up fresh corned beef sandwiches. Green beer goes best with this dish, but in all honesty, any ice-cold beer will suffice. 

Whether this is the first or twentieth Saint Patrick’s Day you’ve celebrated, may the luck of the Irish be with you during whatever shenanigans you choose to pursue.