Lacrosse clinches SoCon tournament birth with 16-4 win

cmuvsduq-7
Sophomore midfielder Tyra Prince races up the field against a Duquesne player on Mar. 15 in the Soccer/Lacrosse Complex.

It may not have been a standard 60-minute game, but the Central Michigan lacrosse team still came away with a victory to clinch a spot in the Southern Conference tournament. 

The Chippewas (9-5, 4-0 SoCon) defeated Wofford (0-14, 0-3 SoCon) by a score of 16-4. 

With just over 21 minutes in the second half remaining, the game was delayed for nearly three hours due to lightning. The game was resumed for eight more minutes of play before the lightning returned and the game was determined to be final. 

CMU was led by Tyra Prince with 4 goals while Natalie Karlen and Jocelyne Lemay each contributed three goals. Jessica Schuchardt also scored 2 goals and added four assists. 

Wofford put the pressure on Central Michigan early with Delaney Irwin scoring the first goal of the game. 

The Chippewas answered less than a minute later with Anna Schoonover scoring her first goal of the afternoon before Jessica Schuchardt scored to take the lead. 

The Terriers scored to tie the game shortly after Schuchardt’s goal but it would be all Chippewas from there. 

Led by a first half hattricks from Prince and Karlen, CMU scored 10 unanswered goals before Wofford scored in the final minute of the half. 

Lemay opened the second half with a goal on a pass from Schuchardt but the Terriers responded quickly to cut the lead to 13-4. 

Shortly after the Terriers goal, a three-hour weather delay came into existence. Following the delay Shannon Doyle, Prince and Lemay all scored for the Chippewas to give them a 16-4 lead before the game was called final at the 12:58 mark in the second half. 

Central Michigan returns to action on Friday to face Old Dominion in Norfolk, Virginia.