Food Truck Friday kicks off June 1 with barbecue competition

cmu-maroon-300

Food Truck Friday returns 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. on June 1 to tempt lunch-time diners with mouthwatering barbecue, spicy burritos, refreshing ice cream and more at the Central Michigan University Research Corporation.

Each week, two food trucks will participate in a themed competition in front of the CMURC at 2625 Denison Drive. On June 1, Maxon's Blue Country Barbecue faces off against 3 Little Pigs BBQ Catering. The truck that receives the most customer votes will be declared the winner. At the end of the summer, all winners will be invited back to showcase all of the Food Truck Friday champions. 

Five other food trucks and two dessert vendors will also be serving customers on June 1. Many vendors accept credit cards, but others only accept cash.

Five years ago, a Mount Pleasant entrepreneur reached out to CMURC for assistance in growing a food truck business. CMURC is a nonprofit focused on advancing the community's economic development by helping local businesses and entrepreneurs to grow, according to president and CEO Erin Strang. 

Eventually, that one food truck grew into Food Truck Friday, which now draws crowds of more than 400 people each week.

Strang said that one thing new to Food Truck Fridays this year is the CMURC Product Showcase, which will display a new product being launched by a local entrepreneur or business. 

For a Food Truck Friday summer schedule, or more information, visit the Food Truck Friday Facebook page.