Ponder Coffee Company to open Sept. 5, second location

ponder1
An inside look at Ponder Coffee Company's new location on Franklin Street.

Ponder Coffee Company, located at 110 E. Broadway St. downtown Mount Pleasant announced on Facebook that their second location on Franklin Street will open Sept. 5.

The new building location, which used to house The Dreamer Coffee Shop, will make Ponder the only coffee shop in the area directly north of Central Michigan University’s campus, after Kaya Coffee House closed this summer. 

Kaya closed after a lawsuit was filed against the landlords of the building, by the owners of Kaya, Tim and Jim Otteman. The ongoing litigation leaves Kaya and The Malt Shop closed indefinitely.

Ponder, known for its artisan waffles and handcrafted coffee, is owned by coffee enthusiasts Aaron and Christie Cromar. 

"As people who went to Central, and frequented the coffee shops close to campus, we feel it's really important to have a local place for students, staff and faculty to go," Christie Cromar said. "It's kind of sad that there's not anything down there right now."

Over the summer, the Cromars rebranded their coffee shop and products, which was once known as Narrativality, Coffee Roasters and The Coffee Room. 

Although the downtown location has a lot of customers, Cromar said it doesn't really cater to students because they don't offer late or extended hours.

The Franklin Street location will be open 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 7:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday. 

"I want people to know that it's a place where hopefully most, if not all, people can find something they like," Christie said. "Hangout and enjoy a really good coffee experience and cafe experience."

The new location will feature blended drinks and grab-and-go food option that their downtown location doesn't have, but for the most part the menu will be the same with sandwiches, waffles, coffee and tea. 

To reflect their personal style the Cromars decided not to have a big event for opening day next week.